These 8 reasons to learn a foreign language are worth repeating in case you, or somebody you know (please pass it on to them), needs reminders why learning a foreign language is a good idea.
Learning a foreign language can be a great way to spend your free time. It’s certainly more productive than watching television (unless you watch a film in the language you’re learning). Even if you have no interest in travelling abroad, knowing an additional language has many benefits. You’ll gain a new perspective on the world, challenge your brain, and make new friends.
With so many language resources available online, a lot for free, there’s no reason not to begin learning a new language today!
Learn a new language and take advantage of these benefits:
- International travel is easier and more enjoyable. While English can allow you to get by in many countries, that’s not true everywhere. Even countries with a reasonable number of English speakers can be more thoroughly enjoyed if you can speak the native language. The local culture is more accessible to you.
You’ll also feel less intimidated about getting on that plane in the first place. Even the simplest of activities, such as asking for directions or reading street signs, is a challenge if you don’t speak the local language.
- Your listening skills and memory are enhanced when you learn a foreign language. Learning foreign vocabulary is a good workout for your memory. You’ll also have to listen intently to understand what is being said to you. A foreign language can stretch your brain like few other activities.
- You’ll develop a marketable skill. Many jobs require the knowledge of a foreign language. You’ll have something interesting to add to your CV.
- Foreign language study enhances your appreciation for other cultures. Imagine how much better the world would be if everyone knew at least two languages and spent some time in another culture.
- Make new friends. You can greatly enhance your circle of international friends if you learn to speak another language. It enables you to learn more about your hobbies (but in a different language) and to meet more likeminded people.
- You’ll spend less when you travel abroad. Tourist areas tend to have overpriced food and other items. These areas can be attractive to tourists because English is more accommodated there. You’ll be brave enough to get off the beaten path when you travel and pay more reasonable prices as a result.
- Boost your self-esteem. You can learn to do something that you might believe is beyond your reach. While some languages are especially challenging for native English speakers, millions of children have learned to speak those languages. You can, too!
- Your brain will stay healthier. Studies have shown that learning a foreign language can help to prevent, or at least slow the development of, various types of dementia. Bilinguals have been shown to have less dementia than those that only know a single language.
Several studies have demonstrated the cognitive benefits of learning a second language.
Take a look at the many free resources available online and begin your language study today. It’s never too late to start.
If you’re not sure which language to learn, enroll in my free Udemy course Language Learning – how to decide which is the best for you It will give you tips to help you decide which language to learn if you don’t HAVE to but WANT to learn a new foreign language.
Alternatively, I happen to know that German is a great language to learn ☺