Did you do silly things when you were young?
The other day I came across this meme on Facebook (and found the embed code) which reminded me of my childhood.
Yes, we did that – not very often, I might like to add ☺
In German it’s called a Klingelstreich, but I remember it as Mäusepingeln. So I did a little research, found ten different ways how people say it in German and attempted a literal translation.
- der Kingelstreich – doorbell prank
- das Klingelmännchen – doorbell little man
- das Klingelmäuschen – doorbell little mouse
- das Klingelputzen – doorbell cleaning
- das Klingelrutschen – doorbell slipping
- der Klingelsturm – doorbell storm
- die Klingelpost- doorbell post/ mail
- das Schellenmännchen – bells little man
- das Schellehauen – bell hitting
- das Mäusepingeln – mice … and then I was stuck. Pingeln which is colloquial for klingeln hasn’t found it’s way into any dictionaries.
I guess that means you heard it here first ☺
What did you call it when you were young? And would we be able to give it a fun literal German translation?