A few weeks ago some friends wrote blog posts about 51 things they learned this year.
I liked the idea, so here are mine:
- Having the best son and daughter living abroad is not always fun.
- Skype lets me keep in contact with them but also allows me to teach students as far as Russia or the other side if Swindon, and even Crawley
- I have done some very interesting translations this year.
- I now know everything (well, not quite)about wire mesh fencing
- … and infrared heaters
- … and water conditioners
- … and contact lenses
- … and recycling in Italy
- … and old illegible German handwriting
- But I need to brush up a bit on German and English bird and plant names if I need to simultaneously interpret about Wiltshire Wildlife again
- Twitter is still good for getting work
- Knowing the right people on- and offline is good for getting work!
- Writing blog posts is good for getting work.
- I enjoy writing blog posts (big surprise)
- More people comment on posts I have written on other blogs than on my own (but I’m working on that)
- I love teaching children!
- I love teaching adults (they behave – usually ;-))
- Secondary school students are ok on a one-to-one basis
- I’ve got fantastic students.
- Wiltshire College’s decision to make me and other language teachers redundant is their loss, not mine!
- It is good to have the courage to try some new things.
- My first flash mob was lacking the mob, but my next one will be huge!
- I love teaching German with songs and there will be more!
- Working on the allotment is a good way to relax from translations or teaching.
- But being on the allotment when it’s raining or very windy, isn’t.
- My chickens don’t lay many eggs any more but still need feeding.
- Having a lodger who is training to be a chef doesn’t mean you get great meals cooked for you but can mean a messy kitchen.
- When you meet online friends for the first time for real, you’ll find them as nice as you thought they would be!
- Google hangouts are fun!
- Going to a business exhibition with a raging toothache is a bad idea.
- Going to a birthday party with a raging toothache is even worse.
- Singing out loud in the car despite having a sore throat and nasty cough is just as stupid.
- Driving on long winding, lonely roads in the dark isn’t fun
- It’s great going to the pub and meeting somebody who wants German lessons.
- It’s great to receive a phone call from somebody trying to get you onto page one on google, only to tell them, you’re already there!
- I learned a lot from Nikki Pilkington’s Blog Challenge
- I had a great time being on the radio.
- Going to a networking event and winning a huge hamper is brilliant!
- Putting a sticker on the back of your car about your business gets you noticed.
- Climbing UP St Mary’s Church tower in Devizes is fun,
- … but coming DOWN isn’t.
- The Danube is a great river.
- But the Kennet and Avon Canal with its 13 locks near Devizes is just as great.
- I still can’t bake,
- … but my cooking skills are improving.
- Dave Brookside is the best wrestler in the world
- I’ve got some fantastic students – well worth mentioning twice
- I love my smart phone, he he.
- Apparently I am an oxymoron (because I am German and have a sense of humour)
- I love my job!
- And finally: the Fenton video on Youtube is still stupid
Have I missed anything important?
Did you enjoy this article?
Subscribe for Updates
Subscribe to my monthly newsletter and receive a free eBook with over 50 free German online resources!